APS Employee Value Proposition
Under the sponsorship of the Secretaries Board Future of Work Sub-committee, the Future of Work Taskforce within in the Australian Public Service Commission (APSC) has developed an APS Employee Value Proposition (EVP). The APS EVP is now available on APSJobs, alongside stories of APS employees.
An EVP is a set of attributes that the labour market and current employees perceive as the value they gain through employment with an employer. An EVP can help employees and candidates evaluate and compare potential employers and help employers attract and retain talent by providing a clear statement of what they offer.
A strong, authentic and well-communicated EVP is critical to positioning the APS as a model employer so it can attract, retain and develop the workforce it needs now and into the future.
The APS EVP has been developed through extensive research and analysis, co-design and testing. It will be reviewed regularly to ensure it continues to reflect the strengths of the APS employee offer and remains current in the employment market over time.
What an APS EVP means for agencies
The APS EVP does not replace agency EVPs, enterprise agreements or employment tools. It describes the employment experience across the APS and complements, strengthens and reinforces existing agency-specific EVPs.
Agencies that already have an EVP can use the APS EVP to reinforce their agency EVP by linking to it from recruitment and communications material, agency careers page/s and social media posts.
Agencies that do not have an EVP can use the APS EVP in the same way as the above. They can also use the APS EVP as a basis for developing an agency-specific EVP, if one is required.
For the APS EVP to be successful, all APS agencies must understand the employee experience promised in the APS EVP and encourage all people managers to take accountability for providing this experience to their employees.
Agencies can support further implementation of the APS EVP through:
- sharing existing footage that could be featured in future videos to highlight the APS EVP and the APS employee experience;
- empowering their employees to share their stories and feature in promotional content for the APS EVP; and
- providing suggestions on implementation guidance they would like to see developed so they can embed the APS EVP in their workplace.
- For more information about the APS EVP, please visit the Frequently Asked Questions.
- Principles of Flexible Work in the APS
- APS bargaining
- You can also read about the priority actions that are underway at enterprise level to improve the APS employee experience.
- If you have any questions or would like to support implementation of the APS EVP, please contact the Future of Work Taskforce.
Communications material for agencies
We encourage agencies to help promote the APS as an employer of choice by linking to the APS EVP in their recruitment packs and on their agency career page/s.
Agencies may also wish to use the following resources to promote the APS EVP both internally and externally.