State of the Service Report 2022-23
Section 44 of the Public Service Act 1999 states that the Australian Public Service (APS) Commissioner must give a report to the Agency Minister, for presentation to the Parliament, on the state of the APS during the past year.
The State of the Service Report is a collaboration between the Australian Public Service Commission and APS agencies.
It shows how the APS is supporting the priorities of the Australian Government and serving the Australian community. This year’s report offers:
- an overview of developments impacting the operating environment of the APS
- analysis of how the APS workforce and workplaces are evolving, supported by research and data insights
- consideration of APS capability, leadership and integrity issues, trends and responses
- stories of how the APS is serving the Australian community, including by connecting with non-government organisations, businesses and the research sector
- an exploration of how the APS is improving its approaches and preparing for the future.
This is the 26th State of the Service Report, and the first to be prepared as a ‘digital first’ report.
Explore the report
The Executive summary covers how the Australian Public Service is delivering on its legislative mandate, repositioning itself as a model employer, shaping a culture with integrity at its core, working with partners to identify and respond to needs and aspirations around the country.