Suitable for: APS 5 - EL 2
Duration: Pre-reading and half-day workshop
Venue: APS Learning Centre, Canberra
Price: $325.00 (excl. GST)
Registration: Visit APS Learn for scheduled dates and to enrol for this program
Contact: Coreskillsdevelopment [at] apsc.gov.au
*This program is also delivered 'in agency'. For more information regarding terms and conditions, please contact Coreskillsdevelopment [at] apsc.gov.au.
Note: This program will benefit those who are likely to have contact with the minister and the minister's office
Program rating from recent participants:
- 100% said the program was valuable in developing their capability.
- 93% said it was worth their investment of time and effort.
You may also like:
This program defines the individual roles and responsibilities of ministers, ministerial staff and the APS. Examine the balance between being responsive to government and providing robust advice. Consider aspects of impartiality of the APS, confidentiality and legal requirements that govern the advice and interactions with ministers and their office. Case studies and scenarios are used to tease out ethical judgments about roles and responsibilities. Share thoughts, experiences and ideas on working with ministers with other APS employees.
- Understand the characteristics and needs of ministers and explain the roles and responsibilities of ministerial staff.
- Identify how relevant legislation determines how the APS works with ministers.
- Apply sound judgements about what is and isn't part of the roles in working with the minister.
- Phase 1 - Completion of background reading and activities prior to attending the face to face workshop.
- Phase 2 - Half-day facilitated workshop.
- Phase 3 - Application of learning from the program within the workplace, supported by a personal learning action plan.