The Commission collects a wide range of workforce information on APS employees. The data supports effective workforce planning, workforce strategy development and evaluation, benchmarking, and trend reporting.
Recent uses of data held by the Commission include:
- evaluating diversity strategies;
- providing APS workforce information to Parliamentary inquiries, and
- assisting agencies to formulate their people management policies and practices.
In some instances, this information comes directly to the Commission from agencies via their HR systems. This data includes details of personnel engagements, movements in, out and across the APS, as well as rates of unscheduled absence, and remuneration details of employees.
The APSC also administers a number of employee surveys. These surveys ask employees for their views and experiences at work, and include the APS employee census and the APS entry and exit surveys.
The data that the Commission collects is managed with strict adherence to the Privacy Act 1998 and the Australian Privacy Principles (APP). Access to data within the Commission is limited to authorised employees who are responsible for ensuring that the records are accurate and complete. The Commission does not disclose individual data to any person, body or agency other than in the circumstances provided in APP6, which permits disclosure:
- with the consent of the individual or where the individual is reasonably likely to be aware, or
- where such disclosure is required or authorised by or under law or where the disclosure is reasonably necessary for the enforcement of the criminal law.
Certain information employees provide to their agency is voluntary, for example: disability and indigenous status. Accurate and comprehensive workforce information enables the APS to better target initiatives that develop the APS workforce. Employees’ situations periodically change and this may change the information recorded. We encourage employees to review your personal information on your agency’s HR system and make any adjustments required to ensure it is accurate and up to date.