What was Operation Free Range?
Operation Free Range was a cross government research initiative designed to help us understand employee mobility within the Australian Public Service (APS) context.
Our research focused on temporary vacancies staffed via secondments or temporary transfers within seven agencies. It ran for 12 months, ending in May 2018.
Through Operation Free Range we were aiming to:
- Test the benefits of inter-agency mobility.
- Identify and understand the barriers that impact negatively on mobility.
- Recommend and refine solutions that can improve mobility, including any IT based solutions.
This project was collaboratively designed by the seven agencies participating in the research:
- Australian Bureau of Statistics
- Australian Communications and Media Authority
- Australian Public Service Commission
- Department of Defence
- Department of Finance
- Department of Health
- Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet.
The APSC is currently undertaking an evaluation of the project.