As One: Making it Happen – APS Disability Employment Strategy 2016-19 was launched in May 2016 and forms part of the Commonwealth’s response to the National Disability Strategy 2010-2020.
The Strategy details actions to improve the attraction, engagement, and retention of people with disability in the public service workforce. These include:
- expanding the range of employment opportunities for people with disability
- investing in developing the capability of employees with disability
- increasing the representation of employees with disability in senior roles, and
- fostering inclusive cultures in the workplace
In October 2019, the Australian Public Service Commission engaged Wallis Market and Social Research (Wallis) to evaluate the As One: Making it Happen – APS Disability Employment Strategy 2016-19 (‘Strategy’).
Wallis Consulting undertook desktop research, and convened face-to-face and telephone interviews with APS staff, managers, HR corporate staff and APS Disability Champions.
The outcomes of each action area of the Strategy were evaluated, where feasible, against the following four criteria:
- challenges in implementing the Strategy
- identification of elements that are effective and sustainable
- measurement of consistency of outcomes across categories of disability
Findings from this evaluation will be used to inform the development of the new APS Disability Employment Strategy 2020–25.
For further information please email diversity [at] apsc.gov.au