NextStep is the new entry-level Traineeship program into the Australian Public Service (APS) for people with disability. NextStep gives you the opportunity to gain ongoing employment in one of several APS agencies through a single centralised recruitment process.
As a trainee through NextStep, you will participate in a 12-month training program to develop skills necessary to progress throughout your career. Successfully completing the training program will earn you a Certificate 3 in Government, equip you with a range of skills that will allow you to succeed in the workforce, and continue to develop your capabilities.
NextStep is a safe and supported entry point to a fulfilling career in the APS. The NextStep team will offer you friendly and professional support throughout the entire process.
Applications for NextStep 2018 are open until 1 July 2018.
The trainee opportunities in 2018 will be located in Canberra. If you are successful, your employing agency can assist you with relocation costs.
Agencies participating in NextStep 2018 include:
- Department of Finance
- Department of Human Services
- Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet
- Digital Transformation Agency
Please note the following important dates:
- 28 May 2018: Applications open
- 1 July 2018: Applications close
- 23 July – 10 August: Face to face assessments
- 23 July – 24 July: Perth
- 25 July – 27 July: Sydney
- 30 July – 1 August: Brisbane
- 2 August – 3 August: Canberra
- 6 August – 7 August: Adelaide
- 8 August – 10 August: Melbourne
- 20 August – 25th August: Offers of employment
- November 2018: Successful trainees commence in agencies
Have you heard about GradAccess? The APSC also centrally coordinate a recruitment stream into APS graduate programs for people with disability. If you have completed the equivalent of an Australian undergraduate degree or higher within the last five years, you can also apply for GradAccess at the same time, through the same application process. More information about GradAccess is available online here.