APS HR School Leaver program
The Australian Government Human Resource (HR) School Leaver Program provides an opportunity for recent high school graduates to start a HR career in one of our participating Australian Government Departments and agencies.
The program launched in 2021 and is intended to be a key piece of our HR capability building strategy, providing an additional entry pathway for a career in the Australian Government. The program targets those who have successfully completed a Year 12 certificate in 2021 or will complete one in 2022.
If you want to develop your skills, make an impact and work for an industry-leading HR function, apply for our program! With a career in the Australian Government, you’ll do meaningful work that makes a difference to the Australian community.
Applications for the Australian Government HR School Leaver program are now open and close on 5 September 2022.
Who can apply?
To be eligible for the Australian Government HR School Leaver program, you must:
- have completed a Year 12 certificate in 2021 or be completing one in 2022
- be an Australian citizen
- clear our security checks (including police checks).
What the program includes
The program includes a:
- 12-month ongoing role in one of the participating APS agencies
- structured on-the-job and corporate training
- Certificate IV in Human Resource Management
- supportive team environment
- an inclusive and diverse workplace culture
- competitive salary (APS level 1)
- potential opportunity for advancement (APS level 2).
Your role may include
By participating in this program, you will support and undertake a range of routine technical and administrative tasks related to HR activities with the support and guidance of senior employees. HR officers are crucial in any organisation.
HR officers manage all the issues related to people ranging from recruitment, learning and professional development, employee motivation, policy administration, safety and training.
You will be accountable to complete allocated tasks and activities within required timeframes and deliver results in accordance with your work area requirements. This may include:
- project assistance and contribution
- administrative support
- providing advice to stakeholders
- drafting basic reports
- undertaking research
- general and routine processing.
Training and support
You’ll be supported throughout the program by a buddy from previous cohorts and receive guidance from HR experts across the public service.
Participating Government Agencies
We have a number of agencies participating in the 2023 Australian Government HR School Leaver program. These include:
- Australian Communications and Media Authority
- Australian Bureau of Statistics
- Australian Signals Directorate
- Australian Taxation Office
- Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry
- Department of Climate Change, Energy, the Environment and Water
- Department of Employment and Workplace Relations
- Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
- Department of Industry, Science and Resources
- Department of Finance
- Department of Health and Aged Care
- Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development, Communications and the Arts
- National Archives Australia
- National Museum of Australia
- National Indigenous Australians Agency
- Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet
- Services Australia
How to apply
Applications for the Australian Government HR School Leaver program are now open and close 5 September 2022.
In your application, you must submit a resume and answer questions about why you are the ideal candidate for the program. Applicants may refer to school experience and extra-curricular activities such as part-time or casual work, involvement in clubs (sporting, Venturers, etc) and other notable achievements (fundraising, debating, etc).
Applications must be submitted through our online recruitment system by 11:00pm AEST 5 September 2022.