APS HR School Leaver program
The Australian Public Service (APS) Human Resource (HR) School Leaver program is an opportunity for 2020 and 2021 Year 12 graduates to enter a Human Resource (HR) career in the APS workforce in one of the participating agencies.
The APS HR School Leaver program is a 12-month pilot program intended to be a key piece of capability building strategy, providing an additional entry pathway to a Human Resources career in the APS. The program will target those who have successfully completed a Year 12 certificate in 2020, or are completing one in 2021. Successful participants will commence the program in early 2022.
Applications for the APS HR School Leaver program will open on 6 September 2021 and close on 1 October 2021.
Who can apply?
To be eligible for the APS HR School Leaver program, you must:
- have completed a Year 12 certificate in 2020 or be completing one in 2021
- be an Australian citizen
- clear our security checks (including police checks).
What the program includes
The School Leaver program includes:
- a 12-month ongoing role in one of the participating APS agencies
- structured on-the-job and corporate training
- a supportive team environment
- an inclusive and diverse workplace culture
- a competitive salary (APS level 1)
- potential opportunity for advancement (APS level 2)
- a Certificate IV in Human Resource Management.
Your role may include
By participating in this program you will support and undertake a range of routine technical and administrative tasks related to HR activities with the support and guidance of senior employees. HR officers are crucial in any organisation. They manage all the issues related to people ranging from recruitment, learning and professional development, employee motivation, policy administration, safety and training!
You will be accountable to complete allocated tasks and activities within required timeframes and deliver results in accordance with your work area requirements. This may include:
- project assistance and contribution
- administrative support
- providing advice to stakeholders
- drafting basic reports
- undertaking research
- general and routine processing.
Training and support
- is an ongoing full-time role
- combines structured on-the-job professional training and work experience support.
Participating Government Agencies
There are 12 agencies participating in the APS HR School Leaver program. These include:
- Australian Bureau of Statistics
- Australian Taxation Office
- Services Australia
- Department of Education, Skills and Employment
- Department of Finance
- Department of Industry, Science, Energy and Resources
- Department of Health
- Department of Social Services
- Department of Agriculture, Water and the Environment
- NDIS Commission
- Digital Transformation Agency
- Office of National Intelligence.
How to apply
Applications for the APS HR School Leaver program are closed.
Applicants must submit a resume and answer questions about why they are the ideal candidate for the program. Applicants may refer to school experience and extra-curricular activities such as part-time or casual work, involvement in clubs (sporting, venturers, etc) and other notable achievements (fundraising, debating, etc). We’ll keep you updated on the progress of your application by email.
Applications must be submitted through our online recruitment system by 11:00pm AEST 1 October 2021.