To position the APS workforce for the future. We will do this by:
- Shaping the APS workforce
- Modernising the employment framework
- Building workforce capability, and
- Promoting integrity.
The Australian Public Service Commission is a non-corporate Commonwealth agency within the Prime Minister and Cabinet portfolio.
Our Statutory responsibilities are detailed in the Public Service Act 1999 and include to:
- Develop, promote, review and evaluate APS employment policies and practices
- Contribute to learning and development and career management
- Contribute to and foster leadership in the APS
- Provide advice and assistance on public service matters to agencies
- Promote high standards of integrity and conduct in the APS.
The APSC also provides policy and secretariat support to the Remuneration Tribunal and the Defence Force Remuneration Tribunal.
During 2018–19, the Commission will support the Independent Review of the Australian Public Service.
Our performance information is presented through the four strategic priorities noted above. Our planned activities to address these priorities are presented at Attachment A.
The APSC operates under the Public Governance, Performance and Accountability Act 2013.
We employ around 200 staff. Most of these are located in our Canberra office. We have a small office in Sydney that employs around 10 staff.
We provide resources to support the Merit Protection Commissioner.
We operate in a tight fiscal environment. The APSC receives approximately 50% of its resources through government appropriation. The remaining 50% is provided by government agencies—either on a fee for service basis or through subscriptions supported by a memorandum of understanding.
OUR INTERNAL PRIORITIES
The APSC is committed to a culture of excellence and innovation. During 2018–19, we will demonstrate this through:
- Continuing to develop and implement strategic HR management approaches that mirror contemporary best practice
- Providing groups with the support to manage and resource projects flexibly
- Implementing ICT strategies and solutions that reflect the benefits of digital technology.