1. This circular is to inform Australian Public Service and Australian Government Industry agencies of changes to the Australian Public Service Award 2015 and the Australian Government Industry Award 2016.
2. The Fair Work Commission made the National Minimum Wage Order 2019 (the Order) on 30 May 2019 with effect from 1 July 2019. The Order increased minimum wages, including award rates, by 3.0%.
3. The salaries and quantum of allowances in the Australian Public Service Award 2015 and the Australian Government Industry Award 2016 will be updated accordingly. For example, the minimum hourly pay rate for an APS Level 1 employee has increased from $21.57 to $22.22.
4. Agencies should assess whether these changes have an impact on the ‘better off overall test’ when bargaining new enterprise agreements.
5. For existing enterprise agreements, agencies should ensure that employees are being paid at least the new Award minimum pay rates.
6. Agencies should also be aware that this adjustment will also flow through to employees engaged through the Supported Wage System. The Awards will be updated accordingly.
Further information and advice
7. Further information on the Awards are available in APSC Circular 2015/2: Introduction of the Australian Public Service Enterprise Award 2015 and APSC Circular 2016/4W: Making of the Australian Government Industry Award 2016.
8. For further information about the Award and its application, please contact the Australian Public Service Commission at workplacerelations [at] apsc.gov.au.