The following list comprises sources quoted in this report or drawn on directly in preparing it. It also contains whole of government resource material for further reading.
6, P, Leat, D, Seltzer, K, & Stoker, G 2002, Towards holistic governance: the new reform agenda, Government Beyond the Centre Series, Palgrave, Basingstoke.
Adams, D & Hess M 2001, 'Community in public policy: fad or foundation?', Australian Journal of Public Administration, 60(2), June 2001, pp. 13-23.
Administrative Review Council 2003, 'Automated assistance in administrative decision-making': Issues Paper, <http://www.law.gov.au>
AGC-see Auditor General of Canada.
APCC-see Australian Procurement and Construction Council.
Aucoin, P 2002, 'Beyond the 'new' in public management reform in Canada: catching the next wave?', in CJC Dunn (ed.), The Handbook of Canadian Public Administration, Oxford University Press, pp. 37-52.
Audit Commission (United Kingdom) 2002, Connecting with users and citizens, Public Sector Management paper, UK.
Auditor General of Canada 2002, 'Chapter 9: Modernizing accountability in the public sector', in Office of the Auditor General of Canada, Report of the Canadian Auditor General to the House of Commons, December, <http://www.oag-bvg.gc.ca/domino/reports.nsf/html/20021209ce.html/$file/20021209ce.pdf>.
Australian National Audit Office 2002, Cross agency governance, Guidance Paper no. 7, July, <http://www.anao.gov.au>.
- 2003, Public sector governance and the individual officer, Guidance Paper no. 1, July, <http://www.anao.gov.au>.
- 2004, Better Practice Guide: Better practice in annual performance reporting, <http://www.anao.gov.au>.
Australian Procurement and Construction Council 2002, Government framework for national cooperation on electronic procurement, APC Ministerial Council, Canberra.
Australian Public Service Commission 2002, Building corporate capability: the APS in transition, <http://www.apsc.gov.au>.
- 2003a, Embedding the APS Values,.
- 2003b, The Australian experience of public sector reform, Occasional Paper Two, <http://www.apsc.gov.au>.
- 2003c, State of the service report 2002-03, <http://www.apsc.gov.au>.
- 2003d, APS Reform 2003, <http://www.apsc.gov.au>.
Bacon, C 1998, 'Integrated local service systems', International Journal of Public Sector, vol. 11, issue 6, pp. 468- 471.
Bardach, E. 1998, Getting agencies to work together: the practice and theory of managerial craftsmanship, Brookings Institution Press, Washington DC.
- 2003a, 'Implementing innovation across agency line', Eminent Speakers paper, IPAA, September, Australia.
- 2003b, 'A policy maker's guide to the universe: getting things done against the odds', Australia (Victorian Division) Eminent Speakers Forum, Institute of Public Administration Australia.
Barrett, P. 2000, 'Balancing accountability and efficiency in a more competitive public sector environment', Australian Journal of Public Administration, 59(3), September, pp. 58-71.
- 2001a, 'Auditing in an environment of public/private partnership and greater collaboration in the provision of public services', address to senior staff of the Board of Audit, Tokyo, 18 October, available from <http://www.anao.gov.au>.
- 2001b, 'Auditing in an outsourced environment', presentation at INTOSAI Working Group on the Audit of Privatisation, Budapest, 11-13 June, available from <http://www.anao.gov.au>.
- 2001c, 'Managing and monitoring privatisation and outsourcing initiatives - challenges in maintaining accountability', presentation to Global Working Group Meeting, Washington, 11 January, available from <http://www.anao.gov.au>.
- 2001d, 'Retention of corporate memory and skills in the public service: more than survival in the new millennium', presentation to the Australasian Council of Public Accounts Committees, 6 February, Canberra, available from <http://www.anao.gov.au>.
- 2001e, 'Trends in public sector contracting: some issues and better practices', presentation to Australian Corporate Lawyers Association, Old Parliament House, 21 March, available from <http://www.anao.gov.au>.
- 2002a, 'Accountability and governance in a changing APS', Department of Finance and Administration Learning Centre Lecture Series, available from <http://www.anao.gov.au>.
- 2002b, 'Achieving better practice corporate governance in the public sector', address to International Quality & Productivity Centre Conference, 26 August, available from <http://www.anao.gov.au>.
- 2002c, 'Expectation and perception of better practice corporate governance in the public sector from an audit perspective', CPA Australia's Government Business Symposium, Melbourne, 20 September, available from <http://www.anao.gov.au>.
- 2003a, 'Corporate governance in the public sector context', Canberra Bulletin of Public Administration, no. 107, Institute of Public Administration Australia-ACT, Canberra, March, pp. 7-27.
- 2003b, 'Governance and joined-up government: some issues and early successes', paper to the Australian Council of Auditors-General, Melbourne, June, available from <http://www.anao.gov.au>.
- 2003c, 'Government sector accountability: the impact of service charters in the Australian Public Service', presentation to Queensland Commonwealth Regional Heads Forum, 15th Annual Government Business Conference, May, available from <http://www.anao.gov.au>.
Baxter, K. 2002, 'Accountability and the senior civil servant in a modern political system', Canberra Bulletin of Public Administration, no. 105, September, pp. 8-15.
Beale, R. 1995, 'Turf protection: conflict between authorities', Australian Journal of Public Administration, 54(2), June, pp. 143-7.
Beattie, P. 2002, 'The immediate challenge regarding COAG reform', Australian Journal of Public Administration, 61(4), December, pp. 57-9.
Bent, S, Kernaghan, K, & Marson, D 1999, Innovations and good practices in single-window service, Citizen Centred Service Network, Canadian Centre for Management Development.
Boston, J 1992, 'The problems of policy coordination: the New Zealand experience', Governance, vol. 5, Blackwell, London, January, pp. 88-103.
Bourgault, J & Lapierre, R 2000, Horizontality and public management, Canadian Centre for Management Development, Ottawa.
Bourgon, J 2002, 'A unified public service: does it matter?', speech to the Commonwealth Association for Public Administration and Management biennial conference, Creating self confident government: reflections and new frontiers, Scotland.
Braue, D 2003, 'Details, details (a recent enquiry by the ANOA has questioned the integrity of the federal government outsourcing process)', CIO Government, Summer, pp. 18-23.
Bullock, H, Mountford, J, & Stanley, R 2001, Better policy making, Centre for Management and Policy Studies, London, November.
Bureau of Transport and Regional Economics 2003, 'Government interventions in pursuit of regional development: learning from experience', Working Paper 55, Bureau of Transport and Regional Economics.
Cabinet Office (United Kingdom) 1999a, Modernising government, London.
- 1999b, Services first: joined up public services.
- 2000a, Electronic services for the 21st century.
- 2000b, Reaching out: the role of central government at regional and local level.
- 2000c, Wiring it up, Whitehall's management of cross cutting policies and services, Performance and Innovation Unit report.
- 2001, Wiring it up-a progress report to the Prime Minister, Performance and Innovation Unit report.
- 2002, Risk: improving government's capability to handle risk and uncertainty. Full report - a source document, Strategy Unit report, London.
Canadian Centre for Management Development, 2002, Using horizontal tools to work across boundaries: lessons learned and signposts for success, CCMD Roundtable on the Management of Horizontal Initiatives, chaired by James Lahey.
Carmody, M 2002, 'Listening to the community: easier, cheaper, more personalised', address to the American Chamber of Commerce, Australian Taxation Office, <http://www.ato.gov.au/corporate/content.aso?doc=/content/sp200202.htm>.
CCMD-see Canadian Centre for Management Development.
Centrelink 2003, 'Partnering the eight hundred pound gorilla: Centrelink doing government differently', paper for the Canberra Summit, Social Entrepreneurs Network, 22-23 May.
Clarke, M & Stewart, J 1997, 'Handling the wicked issues-a challenge for government', discussion paper, School of Public Policy, University of Birmingham, June, UK.
Commission on Public Private Partnerships 2001, Building Better Partnerships, Institute for Public Policy Research, London.
Commonwealth Association for Public Administration and Management 2001, Governance for the 21st Century: Joining Up Accountability, an international conference organised by CAPAM and the University of Birmingham, UK.
Commonwealth Secretariat 2002, Current good practices and new developments in public sector service management, London, www.thecommonwealth.org.
Comptroller and Auditor General (UK) 2001a, Modern policy-making: ensuring policies deliver value for money, National Audit Office, London, 1 November, <http://www.nao.gov.uk/publications/nao_reports/01-02/0102289.pdf>.
- 2001b, Joining up to improve public services, National Audit Office, London, <http://www.nao.gov.uk/publications/nao_reports/01-02/0102383.pdf>.
Conn, P 2002, 'Planning into action: the Centrelink business planning experience', paper presented at the Institute of Public Administration Australia national conference, Powerful Connections, <http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf.news_room/conn02planning.htm>.
Considine, M 2000, 'Contract regimes and reflexive governance: comparing employment service reforms in the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, New Zealand and Australia', Public Administration, 78(3).
- 2002, 'The end of the line? Accountable governance in the age of networks, partnerships, and joined-up services', Governance: An International Journal of Policy, Administration and Institutions, 15(1), January.
Considine, M & Lewis, J 2003, 'Bureaucracy, network or enterprise? Comparing models of governance in Australia, Britain, the Netherlands and New Zealand', Public Administration Review, 63(2), March-April, pp. 131-40.
Coombs, HC, Bailey, PH, Campbell, E, Isaac, JE, & Munro, PR 1976, Report of the Royal Commission on Australian government administration, Australian Government Publishing Service, Canberra.
Craswell, E & Davis, G 1993, 'Does the amalgamation of government agencies produce better policy co-ordination?', in PWeller, J Foster, & G Davis (eds), Reforming the Public Service: Lessons from Recent Experience, Macmillan, South Melbourne.
D'Aoust, R 2000, 'Conference on modernizing governance: summary report', Canadian Centre for Management Development, Strategic Planning and Research, Ottawa.
Davis, G 1995, A government of routines: executive coordination in an Australian state, Macmillan Education Australia, South Melbourne.
Davis, G & Keating, M (eds) 2000, The future of governance, Allen & Unwin, St Leonards, NSW.
Delacourt, S & Lenihan, D (eds) 1999, 'Collaborative government: is there a Canadian way?', Institute of Public Administration of Canada, New Directions, no. 6.
Department of Defence 2002, 'Guidelines for Defence involvement in interdepartmental committees or like joint government policy agency groups', DEFGRAM no. 203/2002.
Department of Families (Queensland Government) 2002, Handbook and companion tool for integrated governance-more than just networking-in the interests of better service delivery, Queensland Government, Queensland.
Department of Finance 1995, 'Getting it together across program approaches', Resource Management Improvement Branch, Discussion Paper no. 1, Canberra.
Department of Finance and Administration 1998, Specifying outcomes and outputs-implementing the Commonwealth's accrual based outcomes and outputs framework, Commonwealth of Australia, Canberra.
Department of Finance and Administration 2000, The outcomes and outputs framework guidance document, Commonwealth of Australia, Canberra.
De Witt, J, Kettl, D, Dyer, B, & Lovan, W 1994, 'What will new governance mean for the federal government?', Public Administration Review, March-April, vol. 54, no. 2, pp. 170-5.
Di Francesco, M 2001, 'Process not outcomes in new public management? Policy coherence in Australian Government', The Drawing Board: An Australian Review of Public Affairs, 1(3), pp. 103-16.
Doig, A & Wilson, J 1999, 'Ethics, integrity, compliance and accountability in contemporary UK Government-Business relations-till death do us part', Australian Journal of Public Administration, 58(4), December, pp. 26-31.
Dovey, L 2003, Achieving better social outcomes in New Zealand through collaboration: perspectives from the United States, New Zealand State Services Commission Working Paper no. 16, September, <http://www.ssc.govt.nz/wp16>.
Edwards, M 2000, 'Public and private sector governance in Australia: Exploring the changing boundaries', Canberra Bulletin of Public Administration, no. 96, June, pp. 5-7.
- 2001, 'Participatory governance into the future: roles of the government and community sectors', Australian Journal of Public Administration, 60(3), September, pp. 78-88.
- 2002, 'Public sector governance: Future issues for Australia', Australian Journal of Public Administration, 61(2), pp. 51-61.
- 2003, 'Participatory governance', Canberra Bulletin of Public Administration, no. 107, March, pp. 1-6.
Edwards, M and Langford, J, (eds) 2002, 'New players, partners and processes: a public sector without boundaries?', Proceedings of the National Institute for Governance (University of Canberra) and the School of Public Administration (University of Victoria) Symposium, held in Canberra, April 2001.
Egeberg, M 1999, 'The Impact of bureaucratic structure on policy making', Public Administration, 77(1), pp. 155-71.
Fitzpatrick, T 2000, 'Horizontal management-trend in governance and accountability', Action Research Roundtable on the Management of Horizontal Issues, Canadian Centre for Management Development, Ottawa.
Flinders, M 2002, 'Governance in Whitehall', Public Administration, 80(1), pp. 51-76.
Foster, CD & Plowden, FJ 1996, The state under stress: can the hollow state be good government?, Public Policy and Management Open University Press, Buckingham.
Frame, T 2001, 'Ethics, motorcycles, sailors and the public service', Canberra Bulletin of Public Administration, no. 102, December, pp. 27-9.
Gardner, A 2000, 'Developments in the whole of government management of terrestrial water resources', University of Western Australia Law Review, 29(1), March, pp. 114-41.
Gill, D & Rendall, R 1999, 'Alternative or integrated service delivery', Public Sector, 22(1), pp. 7-11.
Goldfinch, S 1999, 'Remaking Australia's economic policy: economic policy decision-makers during the Hawke and Keating Labor Governments', Australian Journal of Public Administration, 58(2), pp. 3-20.
Govey, I 2003, 'Creating and Maintaining an Appropriate Security Environment', address to the Security in Government 2003 SES Seminar, Canberra, 23 April, <http://www.law.gov.au/www/rwpattach.nsf/viewasattachmentPersonal/9860DFAD4DD46CC7CA256D1F001EDA51/$file/1speechsig2.pdf>.
Gregory, RJ 1999, 'Social capital theory and administrative reform: maintaining ethical probity in public service', Public Administration Review, 59(1), January-February, pp. 63-75.
Gregory, R & Hicks, C 1999, 'Promoting public service integrity: a case for responsible accountability', Australian Journal of Public Administration, 58(4), December, pp. 3-15.
Grubbs, JW 2000, 'Can agencies work together? Collaboration in public and nonprofit organizations', Public Administration Review, 60(3), pp. 275-80.
Halligan, J 1995, 'Managing across levels of government: Australia', University of Canberra report for the Organization for Cooperation and Economic Development, June.
Hayden, C & Benington, J 2000, 'Multi-level networked governance- reflections from the better government for older people programme', Public Money and Management, April-June, 20(2), pp. 27-34.
Heintzman, R 2002, 'Performance, culture, accountability: the dynamics of organisational form in the public sector', Presentation to Commonwealth Association for Public Administration and Management 2002 biennial conference, Scotland.
Hendy, P 1996, 'Intergovernmental relations: ensuring informed cooperation in strategic policy development', Australian Journal of Public Administration, 55(1), March, pp. 111-17.
Holland, I 2001, 'The whole-of-government IT outsourcing initiative', Department of the Parliamentary Library, e-brief: online only, <http://www.aph.gov.au/library/INTGUIDE/pol/IT_outsourcing.htm>.
Hollway, S 2001, 'Lessons from the 2000 Sydney Olympic Games', Canberra Bulletin of Public Administration, no. 102, December, pp. 36-41.
Holtom M 2001, The partnership imperative: joint working between Social Services and Health', Journal of Management in Medicine, 15(6), pp. 430-45.
Hopkins, M, Couture, C, & Moore, E 2001, 'Moving from the heroic to the everyday: lessons learned from leading horizontal projects', Canadian Centre for Management Development Roundtable on the Management of Horizontal
Initiatives, chaired by James Lahey, Canadian Centre for Management Development, Canada.
Howard, J 2002a, 'Address to the Australian Research Alliance for Children and Youth', Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet, Western Australia, 19 July 2002, <http://www.Pm.Gov.Au/News/Speeches/2002/Speech1755.htm>.
- 2002b, 'Strategic leadership for Australia: policy directions in a complex world', lecture to the Committee for Economic Development Australia, Sydney, 20 November, Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet, Canberra.
Humphry, R 2000, 'Review of the whole of government information technology outsourcing initiative', AusInfo, December, Canberra.
ICCT-see Indigenous Communities Coordination Taskforce.
Indigenous Communities Coordination Taskforce 2003, 'Shared responsibility, shared future', Indigenous whole of government initiative: Commonwealth performance monitoring and evaluation framework, ICCT, Canberra.
Inglis, M 2003, 'Integrating service delivery-a circuit breaking approach', a paper prepared for the Public Service Commissioners' Conference, South Australia.
Institute of Public Administration Australia 2002, Working together- integrated governance, IPAA national research project undertaken by Success Works, Brisbane.
Institute of Public Administration of Canada 2002, Clients speak: a report on single window government services in Canada, Ontario, Canada.
IPAC-see Institute of Public Administration of Canada.
Jackson, W 2003, 'Achieving inter-agency collaboration in policy development', presentation by Deputy Secretary, Department of Family and Community Services at the 5th annual conference, Developing effective links between policy advice and implementation, 30 June.
Jensen, R 2000, Mass fatality and casualty incidents: a field guide, CRC Press, Florida.
Johnston, R & Lawrence, PR 1991 (first published 1988), 'Beyond vertical integration: the rise of the value-adding partnership', in G Thompson et al. (eds), Market, hierarchies and networks: the coordination of social life, Open University Press, London, pp. 193-202.
Kamarack, E 2002, 'Applying 21st century government to the challenge of homeland security', New Ways to Manage series (June), John F. Kennedy School of Government, USA.
Keast, R & Brown, K 2002, 'The Government Service Project: a case study of the push and pull of central government coordination', Public Management Review, 4(4), Routledge, December, pp. 439-59.
Keating, M, Wanna, J, & Weller, P (eds) 2000, Institutions on the edge? Capacity for governance, Allen & Unwin, St Leonards, NSW.
Kelly, MJ, Schaan, J-L, & Joncas, H 2000, 'Managing alliance relationships: key challenges in the early stages of collaboration', Working Paper no. 5/2000, Centre on Governance at the University of Ottawa, <http://www.governance.uottawa.ca/english/Publications/Downloads/working%20paper%200005.doc>.
Kettl, DF 2000a, The global public management revolution, a report on the transformation of governance, Brookings Institution Press, Washington.
- 2000b, 'The transformation of governance: globalization, devolution, and the role of government', in Public Administration Review, 60(6), Blackwell.
- 2001, 'Central governments in 2010: a global perspective', paper prepared for Strategic Thinkers Seminar, Performance and Innovation Unit, Cabinet Office, London, 15 June, <http://www.number-10.gov.uk/su/future%20structuers/fs_kettlpaper.pdf>.
- 2003, The transformation of governance: public administration for twenty-first century America, John Hopkins University Press, Baltimore and London.
Kettl, DF & Dilulio, JJ 1995, Inside the reinvention machine: appraising governmental reform, Brookings Institution Press, Washington.
Kettl, DF, Ingraham, PW, Sanders, RP, & Horner, C 1996, Civil service reform: building a government that works, Brookings Institution Press, Washington.
Klijn, E-H 2002, 'Governing networks in the hollow state: contracting out, process management or a combination of the two?', Public Management Review, 4(2), pp. 149-65.
Kluvers, R 2003, 'Accountability for performance in local government', Australian Journal of Public Administration, 62(1), March, pp. 57-69.
Knoke, D & Kuklinski, JH 1991 (first published 1982), 'Network analysis: basic concepts', in G Thompson et al. (eds), Market, hierarchies and networks: the coordination of social life, Open University Press, London, pp. 173-82.
Langford, J and Edwards, M 2002, 'Boundary spanning and public sector reform in Australia and Canada', Journal of Public Sector Management, vol. 332, no. 4, December, <http://www.optimumonline.ca>.
Lindquist, EA 2000, 'Preconceiving the centre: leadership, strategic review and coherence in public sector reform', in Organization for Economic Cooperation & Development, Government of the Future, OECD, Paris, pp. 149-84.
- 2001, Culture, control or capacity? Meeting contemporary horizontal challenges in public sector management, School of Administration, University of Victoria, Canada; also in Edwards and Langford 2002, New Players.
Ling, T 2002, 'Delivering joined up government in the UK: dimensions, issues and problems', Public Administration, 80(4), pp. 615-42.
Lissenburgh, S & Marsh, A 2003, Jobcentre plus pathfinders: overview of early evaluation evidence, Department of Work and Pensions, Controller of Her Majesty's Stationery Office.
Lowndes, V & Skelcher, C 1998, 'The dynamics of multi organisational partnerships: an analysis of changing modes of governance', Public Administration, 76(2), pp. 313-33.
MAC-see Management Advisory Committee.
Management Advisory Board 1997, 'Beyond bean counting: effective financial management in the APS-1998 and beyond, Commonwealth of Australia, Canberra.
Management Advisory Committee
- 2001, Performance management in the Australian Public Service: a strategy framework.
- 2002, Australian government use of information and communications technology: a new governance and investment framework.
Matheson, C 2000, 'Policy formulation in the Australian Government: vertical and horizontal axes', Australian Journal of Public Administration, 59(2), pp. 44-55.
McClintock, P 2003, 'The Australian approach to policy making: response to Mulgan and Zussman', Canberra Bulletin of Public Administration, no. 107, June 2003, pp. 15-18.
McConnell, A and Stark, A 2002, 'Foot and mouth 2001: the politics of crisis management', Parliamentary Affairs, 55, pp. 664-81.
McLeod, R 2003, Inquiry into the operational response to the January 2003 bushfires in the ACT, ACT Government, 1 August, <http://www.cmd.act.gov.au/mcleod_inquiry>.
McPhee, I 2003, 'Risk management and governance', Canberra Bulletin of Public Administration, no. 106, February, pp. 1-8.
Miley, F 2000, 'Comparing government reporting: looking for accountability', Australian CPAs, vol. 70, issue 1, Melbourne, pp. 26-8.
- 2002, 'An examination of whole of government financial reporting', Australian Society of CPAs, Melbourne.
Milward, HB 1996, 'Symposium on the hollow state: capacity, control, and performance in inter organizational settings: introduction', Journal of Public Administration Research & Theory, 6(2), pp. 193-5.
Monro, D 2003, 'The role of performance measures in a federal-state context: the examples of housing and disability services', Australian Journal of Public Administration, 62(1), March, pp. 70-9.
Moon, J 1999, 'The Australian public sector and new governance', Australian Journal of Public Administration, 58(2), June, pp. 112-20.
Moore-Wilton, M 1999, 'The state of inter-governmental relations', speech to COAG National Policy Forum, <http://www.dpmc.gov.au/docs/comm_state_index.cfm>.
Moran, T 2002, 'Strategy in government: growing Victoria together', presentation to the Commonwealth Executive Forum, Melbourne, 28 August.
Mulgan, G 2002, 'Joined up government in the United Kingdom: past present and future', Canberra Bulletin of Public Administration, no. 105, September, pp. 25-9.
Mulgan, R 1998, 'Identifying the 'core' public service', Canberra Bulletin of Public Administration, no. 87, February, pp. 1-7.
- 2001, 'The accountability of community sector agencies: a comparative framework', Australian National University Public Policy Program, Discussion Paper no. 85, July.
- 2002, 'Accountability issues in the new model of governance', Discussion Paper no. 91, Graduate Program in Public Policy, Australian National University, Canberra.
Mulgan, R & Uhr, J 2000, 'Accountability and governance', Australian National University Public Policy Program, Discussion Paper no. 71, September.
National Commission of Audit 1996, 'Report to the Commonwealth Government', June, <http://www.finance.gov.au/pubs/ncoa/coaintro.htm>.
National Office of the Information Economy 2002, Better services, better government: the federal government's e-government strategy, November.
Newman, J 2001, Modernising governance: new labour, policy and society, Sage, London (see particularly chapter 6, 'Joined-up government: the politics of partnership').
New Zealand Government 2001, Report of the advisory group on the review of the centre, presented to the ministers of State Services and Finance, <http://www.ssc.govt.nz/roc>.
- 2002, The review of the centre one year on-getting better results for citizens, ministers and staff, State Services Commission, December, <http://www.ssc.govt.nz/roc-one-year-on>
NOIE-see National Office of the Information Economy.
Office of the e-Envoy 2002, Channels framework: delivering government services in the new economy, UK Online.
- 2003a, e-Government Interoperability Framework, Part one: Framework, UK On Line.
- 2003b, e-Government Interoperability Framework Part two: Technical policies and specifications.
- 2003c, Policy framework for a mixed economy in the supply of e-government services, a consultation document, UK online.
Ontario Public Service 2000, Working together: an integrated organisation framework for action 2000, Secretary of the Cabinet, Ontario.
Ontario Public Service Excellence and Innovation Office 2001, 'Innovation in governance: working together in a connected organisation (Ontario, Canada)', submission to the Commonwealth Association for Public Administration and Management International Innovation Awards 2001-02.
Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development 1990, Aspects of managing the centre of government, Public Management Occasional Papers, OECD Publications Service, Paris.
- 1995, Governance in transition: public management reforms in OECD countries, OECD Publications Service, Paris.
- 1996, Building policy coherence: tools and tensions, Public Management Occasional Papers no. 12, OECD Publications Service, Paris.
- 1998, Building policy coherence, OECD Publications Service, Paris.
- 2000, Government of the future, OECD Publications Service, Paris.
- 2001a, Issues and developments in public management, Australia, OECD Publications Service, Paris.
- 2001b, Public sector leadership for the 21st century, OECD Publications Service, Paris.
- 2002, Re-aligning governance: from e-government to e-democracy, OECD Publications Service, Paris.
- 2003a, The e-government imperative, OECD Publications Service, Paris.
- 2003b, Emerging risks in the 21st century: an agenda for action, OECD Publications Service, Paris.
- 2003c, Promises and problems of e-democracy: challenges of online citizen engagement, OECD Publications Service, Paris.
O'Toole, LJ & Hanf, KI 2002, 'American public administration and impacts of international governance', Public Administration Review, 62(s. 1), September, pp. 158-69.
Painter, M & Carey B 1979, Politics between departments: the fragmentation of executive control in Australian government, University of Queensland Press, St Lucia.
Parsons, W 2001, 'Modernising policy-making for the twenty first century: the professional model', Public Policy and Administration, 16(3), pp. 93-110.
Paul, L 2003, 'Engaging with non-government organisations', Canberra Bulletin of Public Administration, no. 108, June.
Peters, BG 1994a, 'Managing the hollow state', International Journal of Public Administration, 17(3&4), pp. 739-56.
- 1994b, 'New visions of government', in PW Ingraham & B Romzek, New paradigms for government: issues for the changing public service, Public Administration Series, Jossey-Bass Publishers, San Francisco, pp. 295-321.
- 1998a, 'Managing horizontal government: the politics of coordination', Research Paper no. 21, Canadian Centre for Management Development, January.
- 1998b, 'Managing horizontal government: the politics of coordination', Public Administration, 76(2), pp. 295-311.
Peters, BG & Pierre, J (eds) 2003, Handbook of Public Administration, Sage Publications Ltd, California.
Peters, BG & Savoie, D 1996, 'Managing incoherence: the coordination and the empowerment conundrum', Public Administration Review, vol. 56, May-June, pp. 281-90.
Podger, A 1999, 'Government of ourselves, by ourselves-does it work?', Canberra Bulletin of Public Administration, no. 94, December, pp. 11-12.
- 2002a, 'The emerging framework of Australian government administration: efficient, agile and accountable', presentation to the Commonwealth Association for Public Administration and Management 2002 Biennial Conference.
- 2002b, 'Whole of government innovations and challenges', keynote address to Innovations and Impacts seminar, Institute of Public Administration Australia National Conference, Adelaide, 16 November.
Powell, WW 1991 (first published 1990), 'Neither markets nor hierarchies: network forms of organization', in G Thompson et al. (eds), Market, hierarchies and networks: the coordination of social life, Open University Press, London, pp. 265-76.
Public Service Commission of Canada 2002, Taskforce on the future of the public service: the governance scenario, PSCC, Canada.
Queensland Government 2002, 'Community engagement: leading and facilitating an integrated multi-level initiative', submission to the Commonwealth Association for Public Administration and Management International Innovation Awards 2001-02.
- 2003, Realising the vision-governance for the smart state, Office of Public Service Merit and Equity, <http://www.qld.gov.au>
- Priorities in progress, <http://www.treasury.qld.gov.au/office/services/reporting/priorities/index.shtml> .
Queensland Treasury 2001, Charter of Social and Fiscal Responsibility, Queensland Government, Brisbane, <http://www.treasury.qld.gov.au/subsites/fmb/tier2/resourcecentre.htm#c>.
Rhodes, RAW 1998, 'Different roads to unfamiliar places: UK experience in comparative perspective', Australian Journal of Public Administration, 57(4), pp. 19-31.
- 2003, 'The unholy trinity: hierarchy, contracts and networks', paper to the Australian Public Service Commission's Planning Retreat, June.
Rice, J & Ryan, L 2002, 'Innovative partnerships in management programs for public sector agencies: a South Australia case study', paper presented at the IPAA conference, Powerful Connections, Adelaide, 13-16 November.
Richards, D & Kavanagh, D 2000, 'Can joined up government be a reality? A case study of the British Labour Government 1997-2000', paper presented to the Australian Political Studies Association 2000 Conference, 4-6 October, Australian National University, Canberra.
Richards, D & Smith, MJ 2002, Governance and public policy in the UK, Oxford University Press, Oxford.
Ring, I 1998, 'A whole of government approach needed on Indigenous health', Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health, 22(6), October, pp. 639-40.
Rosalky, D 2003, 'Ministers, secretaries and boards. a perspective from a seat on the Centrelink Board', address to the seminar series, The Public Sector in the New Millennium, Canberra Bulletin of Public Administration, no. 107, March, pp. 41-7.
R CAGA, Royal Commission on Australian Government Administration-see Coombes HC.
Shergold, P 2003a, 'Two cheers for the bureaucracy: public service, political advice and network governance', address to an Australian Public Service Commission lunchtime seminar, Canberra, 13 June, <http://www.dpmc.gov.au/docs/Shergold1306.cfm>
Shergold, P 2003b, 'A foundation of ruined hopes? Delivering government policy', Public Service Commission SES breakfast briefing, 15 October, <http://www.dpmc.gov.au/docs/Shergold151003.cfm>.
Spoule-Jones, M 2000, 'Horizontal management: implementing programs across interdependent organisations', Canadian Public Administration, 43(1).
State Services Commission (NZ) 1998, 'Assessment of the state of the New Zealand Public Service', Occasional Paper no. 1, The Commission, Wellington, October.
- 1999a, 'Essential ingredients: improving the quality of policy advice', Occasional Paper no. 9, The Commission, Wellington, June.
- 1999b, 'Integrated Service Delivery', Occasional Paper no. 12, Wellington, New Zealand, <http://www.ssc.govt.nz/Op12>.
Steinberg, S, Moore, E & Burlone, N 2000, 'The management of horizontal issues, an annotated bibliography', a working paper for the Canadian Centre for Management Development's Action-Research Roundtable on the Management of Horizontal Initiatives.
Stewart, J 2002, 'Horizontal coordination-how far have we gone and how far can we go?', in M Edwards & J Langford (eds), New players, partners and processes: a public sector without boundaries?, National Institute for Governance, University of Canberra and Centre for Public Sector Studies, University of Victoria (Canada), Canberra, pp. 145-186.
Stewart, J & Jones, G 2003, Renegotiating the environment: the power of politics, Sydney, Federation Press.
Sullivan, H & Skelcher, C 2002, Working Across Boundaries: Collaboration in Public Services, Palgrave Macmillan, Basingstoke.
Talbot, C 2001, 'UK public services and management (1997-2000): evolution or revolution', International Journal of Public Sector Management, Bradford, 14(4/5), pp. 281-303.
Tanner, R 1998, 'Are 'Whole of government' priorities possible? some reflections on strategic management in the New Zealand Government', Canberra Bulletin of Public Administration, no. 88, May, pp. 111-17.
The Economist 2000, 'Government and the Internet-the next revolution', The Economist Newspaper June 22nd, <http://www.economist.com> .
Thomas, JC 1999, 'Bringing the public into public administration: the struggle continues', Public Administration Review, 59(1).
Thompson, I 2002, 'National Action Plan For Salinity and Water Quality: a case study in new connections for natural resource management', paper presented at the Innovations and Impacts Day, Institute of Public Administration Australia National Conference, Powerful Connections, Adelaide, 14-16 November.
Thurley, A 2003, 'Whole-of-government outcomes', Canberra Bulletin of Public Administration, no. 106, February, pp. 30-35.
Turner, T 2002, 'What are the implications of being a public organisation on designing online services?', paper presented at the Innovations and Impacts Day, Institute of Public Administration Australia National Conference, Powerful Connections, Adelaide, 14-16 November.
United States General Accounting Office 2002, 'Agency crosscutting actions and plans in drug control, family poverty, financial institution regulation, and public health systems', Results-Orientated Management paper, GAO-03-320, December, <http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d03320.pdf>.
Victorian Government, Department of Treasury and Finance, 2003-04 Budget Statement, Budget Paper no. 2, Melbourne, 2003.
Vigoda, E 2002, 'From responsiveness to collaboration: governance, citizens, and the next generation of public administration', Public Administration Review, 62(5), pp. 527-40.
Vincent, I 1999, 'Collaboration and integrated services in the NSW public sector', Australian Journal of Public Administration, 58(3), pp. 50-4.
- 2000, 'Pieces of the puzzle: machinery of government and the quality of policy advice', Working Paper no. 4, State Services Commission, Wellington,New Zealand, <http://www.ssc.govt.nz/upload/downloadable_files/WkPap4.pdf>.
Waugh, W 2002, 'Valuing public participation in policy making', Public Administration Review, May-June, vol. 62, no. 3, pp. 379-82.
Webber, P and Khademian, AM 1997, 'From agitation to collaboration: clearing the air through negotiation', Public Administration Review, 57(5), pp. 396-410.
Weller, P, Bakvis, H & Rhodes, RAW (eds) 1997, The hollow crown: countervailing trends in core executives, Transforming Government: Economic and Social Research Council Whitehall Programme, series edited by RAW Rhodes, St. Martin's Press, New York.
Whalan, J, Thompson, I & Woolcock, G 2003, 'Joined-up government', Governance Network Seminar 2, National Institute for Governance, Canberra, 7 May.
Wilenski, P 1986, Public power & public administration, Hale & Ironmonger, Sydney.
Wilkins, J 2003, 'Conceptual and practical considerations in alternative service delivery', International Review of Administrative Sciences, 69(2), pp. 173-89.
Wilkins, P 2002a, 'Accountability and joined up government', Australian Journal of Public Administration, 61(1), pp. 114-19.
- 2002b, 'State whole-of-government planning and reporting: involving citizens in government', paper presented at IPAA Conference, Powerful Connections, Adelaide, 13-16 November.
Wintringham, M 2002, Current problems in public management, Wellington, NZ, <http://www.ssc.govt.nz/current-problems-public-management>.
- 2003, 'New Zealand jurisdiction report', Public Service Commissioners' Conference (21-22 February, Adelaide), New Zealand State Services Commission.
Worthington, R 1999, 'A case study of strategic partnering in Australia', OECD Public Affairs and Communications, Paris.
Zussman, D 2003a, 'Engaging stakeholders: why, when and how?', National Institute for Governance Seminar, University of Canberra, 22 April.
- 2003b, 'Public policy formulation in Canada: priorities, processes, and architecture', Canberra Bulletin of Public Administration, no. 108, June, pp. 7-14.