Learning and development opportunities - Adult learning, what are you waiting for?
This week, 1-8 September, is Adult Learners Week. And this year the theme is What are you waiting for? Why not make this week, the week you learn something new!
Thanks to one of our readers, we’re sharing some interesting reading and viewing:
- Seven essential elements of a lifelong-learning mind-set | McKinsey
- Top Tools for Learning
- What is the Future of Learning? Interview with Catalina Schveninger, Global Head of Learning at Vodafone at myHRfuture
- How to Simplify Concepts So You Can Teach Them, short YouTube video featuring Simon Sinek
- Most leaders don’t even know the game they are in, 35-minute YouTube video featuring Simon Sinek
There are also many places to undertake formal learning, such as:
- Scholarships for public servants like the Sir Roland Wilson Foundation Pat Turner Scholarship
- Centre for Leadership and Learning at the APSC
- Open Universities Australia
- Australian Adult Learning Institute
- The College for Adult Learning
- Adult Learning Australia
There’s nothing to say you can’t do some extra-curricular learning. Here’s some interesting ideas to get you thinking, found on the Adult Learners Week events page:
- In Melbourne, try out the perfect mind-body exercise program at this free Tai Chi and Qigong class this Saturday 7 September.
- For Sydney-siders, how about meeting some new friends at a soul-soothing singalong this Tuesday 3 or next Tuesday 10 September?
- In Townsville, join the city midday toastmasters on Tuesday 10 September to gain the confidence you need to effectively express yourself in any situation.
- If you’re in Perth and English isn’t your first language, practice your conversation skills at a Let’s talk: English conversation session in September.
- In Adelaide on Saturday 7 or Sunday 8 September, join a Welcome to Country day trip to learn the history, culture and plight of Australia’s first people.
- For Hobart residents, learn the basics for creating beautiful designs and documents at Introduction to graphic design with Canva on Tuesday 3 September.
- Canberrans can take advantage of a 1 on 1 computer & technology session in September, with in person support and help finding and using online resources to develop digital skills.
- In Darwin, do a free Be Connected workshop on Monday 9 September to increase your confidence, skills and online safety when using the internet and everyday technology.