The APS Graduate Development Program is offered by the Centre for Leadership and Learning.
On this page
Workshops and simulations are now being delivered flexibly, using a combination of individual self-directed activity, small team based activities, remote access to a GDP facilitator and assessor, and participation in online forums. Graduates are also being supported to apply their learning in the workplace, including through coaching.
During the year, graduates participate in a series of workshops and simulated activities. They complete an agency-based project and are provided with individual coaching.
Topics covered during our graduate development program include:
- Administrative decision making
- Planning and structuring work
- APS ethics and values
- Written and spoken communication in the APS
- Stakeholder engagement and management
- Policy development
- Financial management
- Change and resilience
- Career development
The assessment activities of graduates against the Graduate Development Program curriculum can be used for articulation to:
- Master of Public Administration, Australian National University
- Master of Public Policy, Australian National University
- Master of Public Policy, Monash University
- Master of Public Administration, University of Canberra
- CPA Australia (reduction of one year for the practical CPA).
Participants in the Graduate Development Program must have a graduate position within the APS. Graduates are enrolled in the program by their employing agency and complete the Program as a requirement of their graduate year. This Program is not open to non-graduate APS employees.
The fee for the 2020 APS Graduate Development Program is $9,900 per participant.
- Australian Communications and Media Authority
- Australian Public Service Commission
- Clean Energy Regulator
- Commonwealth Ombudsman
- Department of Defence
- Department of Education, Skills and Employment
- Department of Finance
- Department of Parliamentary Services
- Department of Veterans' Affairs
- Fair Work Ombudsman
- National Disability Insurance Agency
- National Library
- Safe Work Australia
For further information or to discuss participation in the APS Graduate Development Program please contact the apscgdp [at] apsc.gov.au (subject: Graduate%20Development%20Program%20Enquiry) (Graduate Development Team)