Cracking the code
Introduction: Using the guide
Get the facts
In the know…tips and hints
Understanding our recruitment process and knowing how to apply can increase your chances of getting an APS job.
The Australian Public Service (APS) is not just a job. It is a good career choice for people who are:
- returning to the workforce
- looking for a career change
- graduates from university or TAFE
- still studying
- school leavers
It is not as hard to get an APS job as people think. Most Australians are eligible to work in the APS which employs over 146,000 people across Australia and overseas.
This guide will help you know:
- who we are
- what we do
- where to look for jobs
- who to talk to
- how to apply
So if you are interested in:
- developing professional and personal skills
- a diverse career through a range of jobs
- good working conditions in a job that gives you personal satisfaction
- an opportunity to contribute to the Australian community,
then read on to find out more about applying for jobs in the APS.
Find out more
Get the big picture about what we do and why you should work with us at fact sheet 1.
If you need help finding APS jobs, see fact sheet 2.
Found a job, but not sure what it means? Understand APS jobs with fact sheet 3.
Find out how to apply for APS jobs and address selection criteria at fact sheet 4 and fact sheet 5.
If you are beginning your career, or thinking about a new one, see fact sheet 6 for information on entry points.
Entry pathways for Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islanders, are covered at fact sheet 7.
Fact sheet 8 covers the employment of people with disabilities.
Got a call for an interview? Check out fact sheet 9 to see what might happen on the day.
Our frequently asked questions and top tips are at fact sheet 10 and fact sheet 11.
Public service careers are boring, limited and unproductive
Some people think that the public service is a place where you get stuck in a dead end job for 30 years and achieve nothing. In fact the APS provides one of the most flexible and diverse career paths available. Our jobs are varied, rewarding and we work on issues that affect Australian life.
We employ people from a variety of backgrounds, experiences and qualifications and provide access to a range of professional development opportunities. The APS is a great place to work and build the skills needed to be a senior leader in either the public or private sector.
- Cracking the code (493.1 KB)
- Fact sheet 1 : The big picture
- Fact sheet 10: Frequently asked questions
- Fact sheet 11: Top tips
- Fact sheet 2 : Finding APS jobs
- Fact sheet 3 : Understanding APS jobs
- Fact sheet 4 : Applying for APS jobs
- Fact sheet 5: Addressing selection criteria
- Fact sheet 6: Entry points
- Fact sheet 7: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
- Fact sheet 8: People with disability
- Fact sheet 9: The interview