Integrated Leadership System
Since 1999 the Senior Executive Leadership Capability (SELC) Framework has become the 'standard' for Senior Executive selection and development within the Australian Public Service (APS). Building on this framework the Integrated Leadership System (ILS) has been developed to provide a common language for leadership development in the APS.
The ILS provides capability development guidance for individuals and agencies in the form of descriptions and behaviours for all levels in the APS. It contains practical tools for individuals and agencies to chart leadership development.
The ILS is flexible and offers agencies across the public service and leadership pathway suited to their particular contexts and challenges.
What is the ILS?
The ILS is based on and expands the SELC framework around five core capability clusters contains guides and tools to assist in professional development, capability planning and agency succession management. These include:
- APS Leadership model
The APS Leadership model assists agencies and individuals to address their particular requirements for leadership, management and technical expertise.
- Leadership pathway
The Leadership Pathway identifies and describes leadership capabilities at executive and senior levels. It illustrates the levels of complexity in which the APS operates and identifies new behavioural elements for leaders at each stage of their career path.
- Support tools
Practical tools have been developed to assist individuals, leaders and HR practitioners. Agencies and individuals will select those tools that suit their requirements and particular contexts.
Outlines information on leadership, learning and development programmes
Who will use the ILS?
Individuals will use the ILS to guide their own development when:
- Seeking to be more effective at their current level
- Aspiring to leadership positions at executive and senior executive levels
- Transitioning to a new role or level
Self assessment tools for individuals are provided including self-assessment forms for APS 3 - APS 6, and capability assessment kits for EL1 - SES B3
- EL (for EL1 and EL2)
- SES (SES B1 and SES B2)
- Transition into the SES (for EL2 and SES B1)
HR practitioners and managers will use the ILS to
- Coordinate leadership opportunities
- Understand bench strength
- Support individual career planning
The following ILS resources are available:
(For information on purchasing complete ILS Capability Assessment kits see Purchasing the ILS Capability Assessment Kit at the bottom of this page)
The Leadership Pathway identifies and describes leadership capabilities that stem from the Senior Executive Leadership Capability Framework (SELC). It outlines behavioural elements for leaders at each stage of their career path.
The Pathway is intended as a guide-the Pathway's descriptions and behaviours are level specific rather than job specific. The Pathway may be applied differently by agencies depending on size and location. Differences will occur between roles and agencies and the Pathway can be applied differently depending on the agency size and location.
The Pathway is a cumulative model, with behaviours identified at one level becoming the 'floor level' for the levels above. There are complex, subtle differences across the levels.
The Pathway is presented in two different ways:
- A comparative view of capability changes across the levels. This view scans across the levels to identify the changes in capability at each level.
- Individual profiles of capability that would be expected at a particular level.
The comparative view scans across the levels to identify the changes in capability at each level.
In the Pathway, those capabilities where new behaviours have been introduced are shown in bold, while increased complexity is shown in italics.
The Pathway defines a profile for each level from EL1 to SESB3. The profiles complement agency specific capabilities and individual job requirements. Individuals may use the profile as a guide to identify areas of strength and areas for development. The profiles enable a complete view of the capabilities that would be expected at a particular level.
The profiles do not contain any mandatory requirements but are a tool to assist individuals to identify development needs and options.
Practical support tools have been developed to assist individuals, leaders and Human Resource practitioners apply the descriptions and behaviours described in the Leadership Pathway, including
- Layers of complexity-describes the increasing layers of complexity as roles change.
- Critical transition points-have been identified for each capability across the various levels and are points where new behaviours have been introduced.
- ILS Capability assessment kit-informs an individual's thinking about their capabilities and assists them to prepare a development plan. These are available for EL 1 - SES B3. Self assessment forms are only available for APS 3-6.
- Leadership capability development planning -this document is intended to be used in conjunction with the ILS and provides further tools and resources to assits individuals assess their capability requirements, align learning with business needs, identify appropriate development strategies and formulate a capability development plan.
- Thematic papers-provides further information about organisational culture themes which were consistently raised as key challenges during the research phase of the developing the ILS.
- FAQs-frequently asked questions about the ILS.
Purchasing the ILS and ILS capability assessment kit
To order the Integrated Leadership System book please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Cost $30.00 per copy (inc. GST)
ILS Book: APS levels
Cost $20.00 per copy (inc. GST)
ILS Capability assessment kit
A more comprehensive capability assessment kit is available to assist individuals to identify areas of strength and areas that might benefit from development. A kit is available for each level from EL1–SES B3 and contains card sorts and self assessment forms for that particular level.
Cost $25.00 per kit (inc GST)Self assessment forms are only are available for APS 3-6 as a download
- ILS order form (58.0 KB)