Producing a quality Cabinet submission
Last updated: 27 Apr 2017
This page is: current
Suitable for: APS 5 - SES
Duration: 1-day workshop
Venue: APS Learning Centre, Canberra
Price: $675.00 (excl. GST)
Dates: 6 December 2017 (Canberra), 27 February 2018 (Canberra), 13 March 2018 (Canberra), 19 April 2018 (Canberra), 18 May 2018 (Canberra), 15 June 2018 (Canberra)
Registration: Online Registration Service
Note: This course will benefit those required to develop and contribute to Cabinet processes and submissions.
Program rating from recent participants:
- 99% said the program was valuable in developing their capability.
- 98% said it was worth their investment of time and effort.
You may also like:
You will get the most current information and insights into the Cabinet system, delivered in an engaging and educational way. This program is co-facilitated by staff from Cabinet Division in the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet and staff from the Centre for Leadership and Learning in the Australian Public Service Commission.
You will become familiar with Cabinet principles and conventions, key steps and timeframes, template requirements, and who to consult. With lots of practical activities, you will develop your drafting skills and get tips for how to write for a Cabinet audience.
You will also benefit from meeting and engaging with other APS staff on these topics.
On completion of this program, you will be able to:
- describe the characteristics of Cabinet government and how they influence Cabinet work
- summarise the key roles within Cabinet and how these assist the functioning of Cabinet
- explain the products of Cabinet and match with their corresponding use
- summarise the steps for a Cabinet submission and their corresponding timeframes
- summarise the linkages between APS work and the work of Cabinet
- outline an initial plan for the development of a Cabinet submission
- describe the intended audience of a Cabinet submission
- effectively draft submissions that comply with Cabinet submission templates
- explain the measures of quality as they relate to Cabinet submissions.
- Phase 1 - One-day workshop.