Appearing before parliamentary committees
Last updated: 24 Apr 2018
This page is: current
Suitable for: EL 2-SES
Do you need to appear before a parliamentary committee in your current role?
Do you provide support to someone who does this? Learn about the committee system and the role you have to provide honest and accurate testimony.
Duration: Pre-workshop self-directed activities and 1-day workshop
Venue: APS Learning Centre, Canberra
Price: $675.00 (excl. GST)
Dates: 14 May 2018 (Canberra), 27 September 2018 (Canberra)
Registration: APS Learn
*This program is also delivered 'in agency'. For more information regarding terms and conditions, please contact AgencyTraining@apsc.gov.au.
You may also like:
Appearing before parliamentary committees takes an in-depth look at parliamentary committees that scrutinise decisions and the information flow between the APS, the parliament and the public. This program will help you to prepare effectively and communicate information clearly. You will also have the opportunity to participate in a simulation of the committee process to crystalize your knowledge.
- Understand the role of committees in the parliamentary process
- Learn the types of parliamentary committees and the restrictions on witnesses appearing before a committee
- Practice answering the types of questions that could be asked at committee hearings and write and prepare briefs that answer these questions.
- Phase 1 - Background reading, reflection questions, collection of agency resources and preparation for mock committee hearing in Phase 2
- Phase 2 - One-day facilitated workshop
- Phase 3 - Apply learning from Phase 1 and 2 in the workplace supported by a personal action plan.