Management in action
Last updated: 02 Mar 2018
This page is: current
Suitable for: APS 5 – EL 1 who is:
- new to management
- new to management in the APS
- hoping to advance to a management position
- in need of a refresher.
Duration: e-learning, 3-day workshop and post-workshop activities
Venue: APS Learning Centre, Canberra
Price: $1975.00 (excl. GST)
Dates: 6-8 March 2018 (Canberra), 14-16 May 2018 (Canberra)
Registration: APS Learn
*This program is also delivered 'in agency'. For more information regarding terms and conditions, please contact AgencyTraining@apsc.gov.au.
This program aims to increase the confidence of managers in using formal authority to achieve business outcomes. This will be done by examining managerial responsibilities in a series of workplace simulations and role plays. Learners will be immersed in plausible scenarios to facilitate learning through practice. This allows the exploration of options and decisions without concern for real time consequences.
By the end of the program, you will be better able to:
- Plan business activities that support the strategic priorities of your entity.
- Plan, recruit and deploy your workforce.
- Manage the performance of individuals and teams.
- Develop the capabilities of individuals and teams.
- Make decisions around entitlements, placements and opportunities for employees.
- Manage a budget to achieve business outcomes.
- Exercise delegations.
- Maintain a safe and healthy workplace.
- Cultivate a professional and positive workplace culture.
- Phase one – reading (30 minutes) to prepare participants to engage in the scenario activities.
- Phase two – three day workshop including opportunities to make decisions and apply skills to realistic situations. Phase two is comprised of the following six modules:
- Business planning
- Workforce planning
- Optimising performance
- Managing and making decisions about employee entitlements
- Internal budgets and delegations
- Professional and safe workplaces.