Executive level leadership programs
Last updated: 04 Apr 2017
This page is: current
In this section
EL2 leadership development
The Centre for Leadership and Learning offers a variety of programs to meet the development needs of executive level employees. Please see below to locate the most appropriate opportunity for you.
Executive leadership development
The APS EL2 leadership in practice and EL2 leadership expansion programs strengthen the leadership capability of mid-level managers across the APS. EL2 employees play a pivotal role in converting strategic direction into operational outcomes. They must be highly skilled in balancing a range of competing demands while managing current deliverables and responding to emerging priorities.
These programs include interactions with senior public sector executives, interactive discussions, real-world public sector examples, and workplace learning assignments.
You should discuss with your manager what the most appropriate program is to meet both agency requirements and personal development needs.
The EL2 leadership in practice program is suitable for building skills in:
- developing the strengths, capability and performance of teams
- astutely using leadership, management and technical skills to take up the different roles required of leaders in different situations
- engaging constructively with diverse perspectives and competing interests
- balancing tensions between emerging agency strategic direction and workplace change and the need to maintain and improve stable, efficient, effective operations
- building the self-awareness, resilience and agility required to work effectively with the range of tensions faced by EL2 managers.
The EL2 leadership expansion program is suitable for building skills in:
- assessing the strategic and political context of your work
- engaging effectively with the range of perspectives, interests and values of stakeholders
- exercising judgment and making informed decisions that balance risks and possibilities
- exercising courage in making difficult decisions and delivering independent advice while preserving working relationships.
Leadership short courses
These courses strengthen your ability to exercise leadership on complex issues commonly encountered by executives in the APS. You will be provided with a practical, challenging & supportive learning experience to enhance your leadership practice.
- Leadership short courses
Management short courses
These courses strengthen critical management skills required of executives in the APS. You will be provided with a practical learning experience that builds new management skills for the workplace.
- Management short courses
These sessions feature a range of prominent leadership development practitioners sharing their expertise on contemporary thinking in leadership and are a great opportunity to expand leadership knowledge and re-connect with the EL leadership community.
Masterclasses provide a supportive environment to expand and deepen your leadership practice, and introduce you to new ideas and skills not featured on our other programs.
Information on leadership programs is available from the Leadership Development team.