The Australian Public Service Commission is responsible for implementing the APS Indigenous Employment Strategy (the Strategy). It includes a range of initiatives to support the recruitment, development and career progression of Indigenous Australians in the APS. Specific measures of the current Strategy includes:
- Implementation of annual whole of APS recruitment programs for Indigenous Graduates and Trainees.
- APS Indigenous cultural capability framework—a strategic, whole-of-APS benchmark of cultural capability and understanding for APS agencies, leaders and employees.
- The APS Indigenous Employment Human Resources (HR) Forum—a quarterly forum for HR practitioners that explores a range of issues and emerging trends affecting Indigenous employment in the APS.
- An APS-wide entry and exit survey—to collect APS-wide benchmarking data that will enable the Commission to identify what attracts Indigenous employees to the APS, the employment value proposition the APS can offer, and the factors that influence Indigenous employees to leave significantly earlier in their APS careers.
- Indigenous Liaison Officers who have a multi-faceted role to support and engage with APS agencies, support Indigenous employees and promote the APS as an employer to the Indigenous community more broadly. Contact the ILO via email IndigenousLiaisonOfficer@apsc.gov.au or phone 1300 656 009.
The work of the Strategy is oversighted by the APS Diversity Council and supported by the newly established Indigenous Champions Network. Further details are available in the Strategy.
Indigenous employment news and events
Applications for Indigenous Australians for Graduate and Trainee positions 2015 intake are now closed.
The Pathways programs are a great way to lodge a single application and be considered for employment opportunities in a wide range of Australian Government agencies. We are seeking people to work in a variety of fields in the APS from international relations to the environment. This also includes, but is not limited to, opportunities to work in Indigenous affairs. Ultimately, this program is the first step in a great career where you know that what you do will make a difference.
- Read success stories from previous participants
- Read the stories shared from direct entry Indigenous APS Employees from around Australia
Applications for the 2015 APS Indigenous Graduate Program have now closed.
Applications for the APS Indigenous Cadetship Program coordinated by the Commission are closed. Register your interest by emailing your contact details to email@example.com.
Indigenous Employment HR Forums
The Indigenous Employment HR Forum is for HR practitioners who have responsibility for Indigenous employment in their agency. Forums are held quarterly in Canberra and planned dates for 2014 are as follows:
- Thursday 12 June
- Thursday 4 September
- Thursday 27 November
Contact the Indigenous Liaison Officer: firstname.lastname@example.org
Indigenous APS Employees forums
The Australian Public Service Commission held a series of Indigenous APS Employees forums from 31 March to early May 2014 following on from the 2013 forums that brought APS Indigenous employees together to explore issues affecting Indigenous employees in the workplace and also gave the participants the opportunity and time to discuss the establishment of local Indigenous Employee Networks. The 2014 forums again challenged Indigenous employees to contribute ideas and strategies to reduce high separation rates and to discuss career progression strategies.
For further information about the Indigenous Liaison Officer or the Indigenous Employment Team you can contact us on 1300 656 009 or email Indigenous@apsc.gov.au.
Page ID: 410