The APS is a career-based service that:
- makes fair employment decisions with a fair system of review; and
- recognises that the usual basis for engagement is as an ongoing APS employee; and
- makes decisions relating to engagement and promotion that are based on merit; and
- requires effective performance from each employee; and
- provides flexible, safe and rewarding workplaces where communication, consultation, cooperation and input from employees on matters that affect their workplaces are valued; and
- provides workplaces that are free from discrimination, patronage and favouritism; and
- recognises the diversity of the Australian community and fosters diversity in the workplace.