APSC Graduate development portal
Last updated: 16 Aug 2017
This page is: current
We’re committed to giving our graduates high-profile, innovative and challenging opportunities to prepare them to be future leaders in the APS.
We offer a unique experience to work in a dynamic and supportive team environment where our graduates are made to feel like part of the team from day 1. We do this by placing our graduates in a ‘home Group’ that is best matched to their individual skills, experiences and the type of work that motivates them.
As a graduate, you may work on projects that introduce new approaches to common issues, like James’ work in using social media to promote the APS as an employer of choice. Or on more specific outcomes, like developing the Family Violence toolkit that Blake has had responsibility in managing.
As a relatively small agency of around 200 staff, our graduates have strong connections with our Executive Leadership. Our graduates are actively encouraged to attend senior level meetings, when relevant, to share their thoughts and ideas. This includes the opportunity of spending a full day shadowing the Deputy Commissioner, including attending meetings with her SES cohort and talking through challenges facing the APS.
Our graduates also participate in the Graduate Development Program (GDP), designed to:
- provide you the foundation skills needed to thrive in the Australian Public Service (APS)
- challenge your thinking using interactive workshops, simulation exercises and participation in APS wide graduate events such as GradHack
- build your networks across the APS through engaging with other graduates
- support you to put into practice project management, problem solving, stakeholder management, influencing and communication skills by undertaking and presenting a major group based project
- provide opportunities for personal and professional development through mentoring and coaching relationships
- articulate to Masters programs at renowned academic institutions
Our graduates are offered:
- relocation assistance if you are moving from interstate
- ongoing employment on successful completion of the program as an APS4 ($64,131 per annum)
- access to study assistance support to continue your professional development
- other generous employment conditions.