Last updated: 10 Apr 2017
This page is: current
The Australian Public Service Commission works to build a confident, values-based and sustainable Australian Public Service.
We aim to make a difference by working with you to deliver your agency's priorities through good practice in managing people. We can help you prepare your Senior Executive Service employees for tomorrow's leadership challenges, assist your people in developing the skills and knowledge they need, and support you in embedding ethical behaviour.
We provide credible evaluation and benchmarking data to underpin strategic responses. We can also help your agency meet the legislative and Australian Government policy obligations that apply to people management.
We give particular priority to helping agencies increase employment and retention rates for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
Our staff in Canberra and in our area offices are there to help you with a wide range of people management, development and leadership services.
The following links outline the services we can offer through the work of the Australian Public Service Commissioner and the Merit Protection Commissioner.
- The role of the Australian Public Service Commissioner - promoting the APS Values, performance, compliance and building the capability of the APS (read more)
- The Office of the Merit Protection Commissioner - providing assurance that the APS Values are being applied effectively by agencies, agency heads and staff (read more)
- Giving you the best advice - providing tools, best practice strategic solutions, publications and policy advice (read more)
- Helping improve employment prospects for Indigenous Australians - targeted career development initiatives and advice (read more)
- Diversity employment: strategies, advice and best practice guides for Indigenous, disability and gender equality
- Working internationally - building public sector capacity in a range of developing countries (read more)
- Centre for Leadership and Learning - contemporary, systematic approaches to learning and development, leadership development and talent management, built around APS needs (read more)
- Building your staff and organisation - leadership activities and training programmes (read more)
- Improving the quality of the Australian Public Service - State of the Service Report, the APS employment database (APSED) and benchmarking data available in the APS Statistical Bulletin (read our reports / read more about APSED)
- Supporting the Senior Executive Service - tailored development programmes and advisory services (read more)
- Helping with people management challenges - helping human resources practitioners with best practice advice and policy (read more)
- APSJobs recruitment website - single entry point for job seekers looking for APS employment (visit the website)
- Special targeted campaigns - whole-of-government campaigns for specialist employees (read more about Indigenous employment / read more about employment of People with Disability)
- Helping to keep your workplace productive - independent external reviews of actions affecting individual APS employees, (including promotion reviews and reviews of actions), and procedural advice on behalf of the Merit Protection Commissioner (read more)
- Networks and events - encouraging APS staff to meet, share information and learn from industry experts (read more)
- Publications and advice - the Commission prepares best practice advice and guidance for APS HR practitioners. (read more)
To check latest contact information go to our Contact us page.