On this page
- collection notices listed on the APSC's register of collection notices.
- how the information is collected and held (including data quality and security);
- the purposes for which information is collected, held, used and disclosed; and
- the authority for collection.
Kinds of personal information collected
The APSC collects personal information to enable it to carry out its functions and activities. The APSC performs various functions and activities relating to the APS, including:
- APS employment matters relating to individual APS employees;
- research, evaluation and reporting on the APS and APS workforce management policies and practices; and
- matters relating to integrity in the APS.
How the APSC collects personal information
The APSC usually collects personal information directly from individuals. The APSC collects some personal information about all APS employees from their employing agencies.
The APSC sometimes collects personal information from a third-party or from a publicly-available source if:
- the individual has consented to such collection; or
- the APSC is required or authorised by or under an Australian law to collect the information in this manner; or
- it is unreasonable or impractical to collect the information directly from the individual.
We only collect personal information where it is reasonably necessary for, or directly related to, one or more of the APSC's functions or activities. We only collect sensitive personal information in circumstances permitted by Australian Privacy Principle 3.
Purposes for which the APSC collects, uses, holds and discloses personal information
The APSC collects and holds personal information for the purpose of carrying out its functions and activities. In most cases, the APSC will only use or disclose personal information for the purpose for which it was collected. In some cases, the APSC may use or disclose personal information for another purpose, but only if:
- the individual has consented to the use or disclosure; or
- use or disclosure is permitted by Australian Privacy Principle 6.
Access and correction
Disclosure of personal information to overseas recipients
If you wish to contact the APSC about a privacy-related matter, including questions about this policy, please contact the APSC's Privacy Contact Officer by one of the following methods:
From 21 August 2017 you can contact the Commission at:
Privacy Contact Officer
Australian Public Service Commission
B Block, Treasury Building,
Parkes Place West, Parkes ACT 2600
GPO Box 3176, Canberra ACT 2601
02 6202 3735